1-1
Evolving Management Positions
I have been in the workforce
since I was 16 years old and I have been in the workforce for 7 years, I can’t
really say that I have seen management evolve but I can say that I have
experienced different management styles. Over the years I have worked in
multiple different positions under numerous different managers. I have notice
that there is a difference between leaders and managers.
A leader is there to help
motivate and lead a team towards a common goal.
Leaders often believe that employees are self-motivated and enjoy coming
to work, leaders give more empowerment to employees and encourage them to make
decisions.
Managers often tell you
specifically what the want to have done and how they want it to be done. This
leaves less room for employees to make there own decisions and to be creative. Managers more like to micro manage there
employees so they know constantly what is going on. Many managers believe that
employees aren’t motivated to be at work and need to be under constant
supervision to stay productive at work.
Working under a leader is much
easier to do then working under a manager. I find myself more productive and I
enjoy being at work more. I find a leader is there to help me and my team, they
help to keep us motivated and work towards a common goal.
I have noticed over the years
that managers are attempting less to micro manage there employees and more to
give them empowerment and freedom. They
are taking on more of a role of being a leader; they are far more approachable
and seem to be there to help employees achieve the goals they set out to
achieve within the company. By taking
the leadership approach they are encouraging employees to reach there highest
potential and continue to stay motivated.
In the past hard skills were
the most important part for managers. Today soft skills are becoming a much
larger part management. As soft skills continue to develop more effort needs to
be placed on trusting employees more to complete their jobs properly, efficiently
and accurately with out having to be under constant supervision.
Hi Bryan,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your Blog entry, thanks for sharing! Your description of Managers and Leaders makes a lot of sense to me. I was wondering if you can see similarities in age, experience or other things between several Leaders you had vs Managers? For example, did most of the Leaders be younger than the Managers? Or was it mixed? Maybe the Leaders had different backgrounds and worked their way up while the Managers had a better schooling background but never really worked as a follower?
I have found that it depends on what the person has learned and has experience with. for the most part the younger people attempt to be more of a leader and less of a manager or someone that micro manages
ReplyDelete