Wednesday, August 8, 2012

9-2 Models of Organizational Change


There are 3 stages to change, Unfreeze, Move, And Refreeze.

My example is introducing a new computer system that the company uses on a day-to-day basis, that will work in hand with the other old operating systems.

Unfreeze

If I were a manager in an organization and I was in charge of making change while introducing the changes I would make sure to bring up all of the positive things this brings to the table. I would make sure to show all the benefits of making these changes and why the business has decide to go this direction.  I would make sure to supply employees with all information need to make sure a smooth transition happens and would allow an open door policy to make sure to get feedback about the change.


Move

Change a process and we cant expect to see instant results. I would make sure that the new idea was well understood and the reasoning behind it. I would schedule training sessions spanning over a few weeks for a few hours every few days. This would be done so employees don’t get overloaded with information and feel overwhelmed. I would schedule training to be done a few days before the new system was set to be launched so employees are able to become more familiar with it and I would make sure to set a specific date for the system to officially be launched and be in full use. By doing this it will allow employee’s which are struggling with the system an opportunity to arrange to get additional training in.

Refreeze

Once everything is up and running the company would review the original plan we would review the successes the new system has had for the company. We would also review information we have received from having the open door policy. At this point we would offer an employee survey to get employee feedback, for things that might need to be changed and what worked well. This would help resolve any uncertainties that employees may have with the new system. To make sure that the change stays in place we will make sure to continually train employees on the system to improve the overall efficiency.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Bryan,
    I like your idea about open door policy but would like to recommend to have a some kind of a "filter" to make sure that people come with real comments, problems or recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zhana,

    THe only problem I see with that is that not all the time you can use a one size fits all approach on this. Many people might consider something a problem that others dont making it hard to enforce some sort of filter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bryan,

    I like your idea on the training aspect, so often I have been trained on a new process in one step four months before the change roles out and then in four months I’m trying to remember what I was trained on.

    ReplyDelete