8-2 Critical Incident
Analysis
A
recent incident that happened in my work place involved me and other co-workers
in a training class for work on how to position a certain product. At my
company they tell us that we need to sell our product based on doing a needs
analysis to make sure that the specific product you suggest meets up with what
the client needs, I personally think this is the correct way to promote and
sell products and this is what I have always been taught and this is what the
current company believes in. In this recent training session we were trained on
a new product that the company is set to come out with during this product they
want to have high number to show the product works, they decide to offer to pay
extra commission to everyone that sells this product. I brought up the fact
that this is no longer selling to persons needs as people will just get this
new product forced onto them as there rep simply wants to make more money. My
problem with this is now people aren’t actually getting what they need but
simply a product that the company wants to push. This frustrated me as they are
no longer doing a service for their customers and they will have many customer
that are dissatisfied in the future and no longer trust there reps or their opinions.
I brought this up to a manager and basically got scolded for not believe in the
product or the direction the company is looking to go in, I tried to explain
myself but got no where with it.
Why do I view the situation like
that?
I view this
situation this way as this is what I have been taught and this is what the
company has told me they believe in. When a company starts to offer things like
this people start to step away from the original strategy and start to push a
product that may not suit someone.
What assumptions have I made about
the leader or problem or situation?
When being
told about the extra commission incentives I assume that this product will get
sold more as people will be making more money off of it . I have seen this done
multiple times before, Companies shouldn’t offer incentives like this if they
truly want satisfied customers.
How else could I interpret the
situation?
I
could have thought that the company was promoting a great product and simply
wanted to pay their employees more to help promote it.
What other action could I have
taken that might have been more helpful?
I
could have gone directly to a manger told them what I thought and why I though
it would happen. I could have helped come up with an alternative way to make sure
the new product was getting promoted but not pushed onto clients.
What will I do if I am faced with
a similar situation in the future?
I will make
sure that I am doing my part to give my clientele a proper recommendation. I
will not promote something I don’t think will work for the customer simple
based on what I will be getting paid on it.
Bryan,
ReplyDeleteI thought you did a fantastic analysis. Besides doing the right thing in your case, you have broken it up very well and your analysis makes sense.
Just out of curiosity, do you think the sales rep turn-over will increase because of this new strategy your company is "forcing" or do you think the majority will just "go with the flow"?
Such a move by a company can not only put them in a tough situation with their customers, but with their sales personnel as well I imagine...
I dont think it will affect turn over rate, however i do think it will affect how people look at the comapany in the future.
ReplyDelete